Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bad hair day - for my cat?

My cat, a female about 3 years old, has longer hair that is matting up all the time! I brush her often, and this has never been a problem before. I think I may have to have her shaved (if they even do that to cats). Has anyone else had this problem?



Bad hair day - for my cat?

Have you changed her food in recent months to cause a fur quality change? Is she too heavy to clean herself? If they get too big they can't reach certain parts of their body, mainly their butt, or top of back. These r my 2 options, hope they help? Also, YES groomers will shave the cat...matts start to hurt the kitty if not taken out.



And Please no not try to cut them out, I have seen too many emergency surgeries were I work because the owner got the skin. Cats skin stretches when the fur is pulled, not like our heads we don't have the extra skin. Oh yeah and one more thing, it is WORTH THE EXTRA $$ to go to a groomer. Most vet hospitals (that don't have a grooming center) do not know how to make a cat pretty :) Trust me on this one - I've worked there for 10+ years and no shaved cat looks pretty from our hospital :) lol! But allot of owners don't want to pay a groomer...too funny.



Bad hair day - for my cat?

yes just leave her alone it'll be fine dont shave her its bad they need the oil on the hair they have



Bad hair day - for my cat?

either go to the vet, or just leave her and it might turn out fine. It kind of depends on whether you've noticed other strange things.. hope this helps.



Bad hair day - for my cat?

Yes, cats are shaved for mat problems. It might be good to do it now when the weather is so warm. Then maybe you can keep up with it when you start from scratch so to speak.



A young cat like yours should be doing a good job of grooming itself. I have a 22 yr old cat that goes for baths and grooming regularly. She has just stopped grooming, has bad arthritis and probably it would be painful for her to take care of herself.



I think you must make an effort to improve the quality of her food.



Really read the label on food bags -- most have 2/3 corn and that is not appropriate nutrition for the cat.



Cats in the wild eat a species appropriate diet. Raw meat is almost 75% of their diet. If long-haired cats had problems with mats in the wild they would be extinct. So IMO diet is a factor in excessive matting.



Upgrade your cat to some high quality foods. You can find them in a small pet store, not the big chains. The owners are usually quite knowledgeable about good diets so get their advice.



Bad hair day - for my cat?

You need to get your cat shaved or the problem will only get worst. Your vet should know a cat groomer and yes the have people that groom cats. All you have to do is ask the vet.



Bad hair day - for my cat?

Long hair cats often have this problem. You may need to take her to the vet and get her bathed really well, or cut out the knots. I don't think you will have to shave her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security